Free Income Tax Filing Assistance
Volunteers from Beta Alpha Psi at the Rutgers Business School will help taxpayers file online, by appointment only, on Fridays and Saturdays from January 31 to April 4, 2020. (A list of exact dates and times can be downloaded here.) The volunteers are only able to file current standard returns, no itemized deductions or special forms, and the service is for those of low to moderate income (max. $65,000). This annual service is sponsored by VITA, the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
For an appointment, please call the library at 732-745-5108 ext. 25, or stop by the library's Main Desk.
All adults on the return must be present at the appointment. When you come to your tax-filing session, you must bring the following items:
- Valid Government/State/City/School Photo ID
- Social Security Card or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for each family member (SS# & ID is essential)
- Income documentation for 2019, including the following (where applicable):
- Wage and Income statements Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099 MISC, 1099R
- All cash income with documentation (type of business, payer’s name & address)
- Interest and Dividends Income statements
- Social Security Benefits statement
- 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095C for proof of Health Insurance Coverage or Marketplace Exemption Certificate
- If any of the following apply, please bring documentation:
- Childcare expenses, including provider’s name, address, and EIN
- Mortgage bank/company statements
- Alimony paid or received
- Any notices received from the IRS or State Tax office
- Property tax paid (statement)
- Rent paid (name must be on lease)
- Unreimbursed medical expenses
- Charitable contributions/donations statement
- 1098-T from college & a printout of student’s college account. Student loan interest statement for interest paid on loans (1098-E)
- Additional forms of income such as unemployment payments, state income tax refunds, scholarships, awards, lottery/gambling winnings
- A copy of last year’s return, if available
- Savings/Checking account & routing numbers for direct deposit. (Safest way to received refund.).
Please understand that the library is only the site for this service and library staff cannot answer tax-related questions.